Don’t let food allergies come between you and your jelly doughnut

These jelly doughnuts look amazing. You can't even tell that they are allergen-free!

Every now and then, I get hit with emails that seem to have uncanny timing….

This was the subject line:

“Allergy-Free Beignets for Mardi Gras by Elizabeth Gordon”

I was just bemoaning the fact that the frozen doughnuts in the organic aisle are almost perfect for Ava … except they contain eggs. So I was toying with the idea of whipping up some homemade ones. All I needed was a recipe.

This is where the email came in. I was intrigued enough to open it up. This is what it opened with:

With Mardi Gras just around the corner, what better way to celebrate than with beignets! Elizabeth Gordon’s new book “The Complete Allergy-Free Comfort Foods Cookbook” includes a fantastic jelly donut recipe that is essentially a gluten-, dairy-, soy-, nut-, and egg-free beignet.

It’s over after I see the words jelly donut. I die for jelly doughnuts. I just ate two the other night in the newsroom. Nomnom. Add to the fact that this recipe is free of all Ava’s allergens? Get outta here. I gotta try it.

The lovely PR lady was kind enough to send me Elizabeth Gordon’s recipe. Fortunately, there are only two ingredients (sorghum and millet flour) that aren’t a part of my pantry already, so I’m super stoked to try this out. I’ll post pics of my efforts at a later date.

Jelly Donuts

Gluten-, dairy-, soy-, nut-, and egg-free
(Serves 11)

• 3⁄4 cup warmed coconut milk kefir (105°F)
  • 1⁄4 cup warm water (105°F)
  • 1 package dry yeast
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1⁄2 cup seltzer water
  • Canola oil for frying
  • 1⁄2 cup raspberry preserves
  • 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
  1. Mix together the kefir, water, yeast, sugar, and salt. Set aside to proof for 5 to 10 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, stir together the rice flour, millet flour, potato starch, sorghum flour, and xanthan gum in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add in the applesauce, canola oil, and vanilla extract, and mix together to moisten the dry ingredients.
  3. Slowly stir in the seltzer and the yeast mixture and then beat them together until a smooth batter forms. Scrape down the sides and then cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Move the bowl to a warm place to rise for 2 hours.
  4. When the dough is ready, roll it out on a well-floured surface to a 1⁄2-inch thickness, and cut it into eleven 3-inch circles. Loosely cover circles with plastic wrap until the oil is preheated. Fill an electric fryer according to the fryer directions with canola oil and preheat it to 350°F, or heat 3 to 4 inches of oil to 350°F in a large skillet.
  5. While the oil is heating, fill a pastry bag fitted with a number 4 tip with the raspberry preserves. Fill a paper bag with 1⁄2 cup of granulated sugar.
  6. When the oil is ready, place the donuts in the fryer two at a time, frying them for 3 minutes, turning them constantly with tongs, until they are golden. Remove the donuts to paper towels to drain and cool slightly.
  7. When the donuts are cool enough to handle, insert the tip of the filled pastry bag about halfway into the side of the donut and fill it with the raspberry preserves until the preserves just barely ooze out of the hole.

Here is some more about Elizabeth Gordon:

Elizabeth Gordon is the author of Allergy-Free Desserts and the owner of the online gluten, dairy, soy, nut and egg-free bakery, Betsy & Claude Baking Co. Visit her at www.myallergyfreelifestyle.com.

And here she is in her own words:

Lyzz Jones

I'm the editor of GameTimePA.com. Wife. Mom. Towson and Millersville grad. Member of Raider Nation.

You may also like...

9 Responses

1. Pam says:

I apologize if you’ve been asked this already, but have you tried giving your daughter duck eggs? One of the bloggers I follow has a son who is allergic to chicken eggs, but he can eat duck eggs with no adverse effects. Apparently, it is not uncommon for that to happen.

The jelly doughnuts looks delicious! I saw coconut milk kefir listed as an ingredient; do you make that yourself? If you do, do you use water kefir grains or milk kefir grains to culture the coconut milk?

2. Lyzz Jones says:

Hi Pam! Actually, no one has ever mentioned duck eggs to me. I will definitely look into it. Thanks for bringing it up!

I’m actually substituting coconut milk yogurt for the kefir. Partly because I couldn’t find any at the store that didn’t contain milk (another one of my daughter’s allergies) and partly because it’s hard to find the time to make stuff. So anytime I can go the easy route, I do. Hopefully it won’t make too much of a difference in the recipe. I just need to find millet and sorghum flour and I’ll be able to try!

3. Pam says:

Hi! If you do decide to give duck eggs a whirl, M&M Farm sells them at their stand at the Central Market.

Millet and sorghum flour are at Sonnewald. I’m pretty sure Giant sells at least sorghum flour, and I think they started selling millet at some point. I’m wondering if the Christmas Tree Shops has these two too. They have a surprisingly large selection of gluten-free products from Bob’s Red Mill.

Kefir is very easy to make (I make both water and milk kefir). You take “grains” (they are actually clusters of bacteria colonies or something– not grains like wheat), dump them in a container of either milk or sugar water, leave it out for a day, then drain. The liquid is the probiotic rich kefir.

Good luck!

4. Pam says:

Now that I’m thinking about it, I don’t really see the purpose of the coconut milk kefir in this recipe. Any probiotic benefit will be gone once the dough is fried. I’d use straight up coconut milk instead!

5. Pam says:

Gosh, one last thing (sorry)… Here’s a link to a discussion by some individuals with chicken and/ or duck egg allergies: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/385346/eating-duck-eggs-because-of-chicken-egg-allergies

You’ll see some were allergic to both while some were allergic to one but not the other. My guess it’s the same idea of some being able to tolerate goat’s milk when they can’t tolerate cow’s milk. Both have milk protein, but the slight chemical structure differences make one easier to break down than the other.

Sorry to go on like this, allergies and reversing allergies have kind of been my thing for a while now…

6. Lyzz Jones says:

Sonnewald is right up the street from me. Thanks for the tip! I can’t believe I didn’t think of that. :-)

7. Lyzz Jones says:

I’m still a bit wary of this but it’s something I’m going to bring up at Ava’s next allergist appointment. I posed the duck vs. chicken question to my legion of food allergy moms on Twitter, and they were very adamant that I shouldn’t try it. Not being able to tolerate something and being allergic to it are two very different issues. But, I’ll see what the doctor has to say. I appreciate the discussion!

8. webpage says:

A person essentially assist to make seriously posts I would state.
    This is the very first time I frequented your website page and so
    far? I surprised with the analysis you made to create this actual put
    up extraordinary. Magnificent job!

1. February 20, 2012

[…] then beat them together until a smooth batter forms. Scrape down the … … View post: Smart Magazine | Don't let food allergies come between you and … ← Tere's World: Canola […]