With the weather we had lately, it is hard to tell what season it is in York! However, the cold will blow once again, and the kids will be trapped inside with you.
It is hard to be green when the world doesn’t have that fresh hue.
Maybe you lost momentum because of the holidays. The kids are bored with their new toys, but your wallet can’t take another hit. Plus, you are trying to be green and eco-friendly, right?
Here are some simple ideas for being green this winter:
- Before throwing away that box or the toilet paper rolls, hop on Pinterest or search the Internet for some cute craft ideas. We have a few ideas here on Smart, such as monster bookmarks. Check out our Pinterest board for ideas by staff members and others.
- How about making some crafts for yourself out of items in your home, such as trash-to-treasure gift bags or a jewelry organizer.
- Freshen your home with materials found in your pantry, and save a trip to the store.
- Curl up with a hot cup of homemade cocoa and watch a movie or three from your own collection. When was the last time you watched your favorite movie, buried behind your kids’ Disney ones?
- Pretend the electricity went out, and pull out the board games.
- Organize your house. Make it a game with your kids, and help them sort items to give to Salvation Army or many of the other drop-off boxes. Clearing up clutter never feels more green than when you donate!
- Go to the park! Yes, it is cold, but as long as you limit your time, a winter workout will still be fun. Enjoy what nature has to offer in these often-gloomy months.
What are some ways you try to stay green during the winter?